Here are some basic guidelines to consider before practicing Kundalini Yoga and Meditation:
- Location: Choose a place where your mind can easily come to peace. Indoors, the room should be clean, simple, orderly, and quiet. Your body should be comfortably warm and the room well-ventilated. Outdoors, find a quiet place where you are at ease, and where you will not be disturbed.
- Create a Sacred Space: It can help to create a sacred altar space with flowers and candles. Sit on a natural fiber blanket, sheepskin, or padded mat. Do not sit on the bare floor. If you cannot sit on the floor, sit on a chair with both feet flat on the ground.
- Clothes: Wear comfortable, natural fiber clothing. It is recommended to cover your head with a natural fiber material for both yoga and meditation.
- Meditation blanket: Cover your spine with a natural fiber blanket or shawl while meditating and relaxing. Use this blanket or shawl only for yoga and meditation in order to preserve its meditative vibration. You can get into the frequency of meditation just by putting on the shawl.
- Feet: Your feet should be clean and free of socks and shoes in order to receive the full energy produced by the exercises. The soles of your feet have 72,000 nerve endings, which are very receptive to subtle energies when uncovered.
- Stomach Empty: Meditate when your stomach is not full. During pregnancy, you may require a snack or a juice one-half hour before yoga or meditation. Eat lightly.