Sit on the floor and stretch both legs out in front of you. Bend your right leg and place your right foot under the left knee. Bend the left leg and place the left foot under the right knee. (A more advanced variation is to place the left foot on top of the right thigh for women. For men the position is to place the right foot on top of the left thigh.)
When you sit in Easy Pose, make sure that your lower spine rolls forward and that your upper spine is aligned straight.
Here are some tips to help you practice Easy Pose:
- Imagine that a cord is attached to the top of your head, pulling your head
up out of your torso. Tuck in your chin slightly, so that your neck vertebrae are aligned.
- Stretch your spine up straight.
- Tuck your tailbone under.
- Shoulders are relaxed and pulled slightly back.
- Hands are resting on the knees in Gyan Mudra. (The tip of the index finger touches the tip of the thumb; the other fingers are straight.)
- Relax and breathe slowly as you maintain the position.